Reglement of the International Competition arturbain.fr
27th session, 2018/2019
« Revitalizing the centres of small and medium-sized cities »
Article 0 : SET THEME
Every year, a working theme is held by the board of directors of the Robert Auzelle Seminar (SRA). This theme, common to
three big events, is going to allow to guide in their choice and to value as well the realizations held for the National Prize as the
projects of the international Competition as well as the reflections and the proposals stemming from the Meeting with the
professionals of the living environment and from the services of the State.
Revitalizing the centres of small and medium-sized cities
The work undertaken in recent years with government departments, the professions in the living
environment, mayors, public or private contracting authorities and project managers, authors and those
responsible for the projects of the National Prize, as well as the projects of the multidisciplinary teams
(teachers and students) of the International Competition, highlight the need to promote "the territories of
Since the 1960s, the rural-urban migration has partially emptied the countryside of its active substance:
factories, shops, public services, exchange areas, fairs and other events.
The economic and demographic slowdown following this period of the thirty glorious years and the
development of the globalization of the economy has reinforced this urban phenomenon of population
attraction towards cities and large agglomerations.
Moreover, it must be noted that since the 1960s the creation of mass distribution, and the development
of commercial areas on the outskirts of these cities, have considerably weakened inner-city trade and
the urban life associated with it.
What are the conditions that could restore a new attractiveness and decide some young or
elderly inhabitants of these large cities and metropolises to come and reinvest these cities and
villages and start to reverse this exodus from the countryside? For example:
- the digital revolution and its implementation as close as possible to rural areas and mediumsized
- assistance in refocusing shops (services grouped in the city centre)
- the development of broadband to the ends of cities and hamlets
- the legislative opening of telework
- learning assistance
- the enhancement of the built heritage as well as the value of the soil, an essential heritage for
our common future
- the renewal of a more pleasant and enriching living environment for the majority of our fellow
The multidisciplinary university teams applying for the 2018-2019 International Competition will
propose projects designed to make these territories more attractive according to the criteria of
Architectural Quality, Quality of Social Life and Respect for the Environment1.
Article 1 : ORGANISER
The Association for the promotion of the urban design also called the Robert Auzelle Seminar (SRA), an officially
recognised organisation, is organising an « International competition » in the French language, sponsored by the
Ministry of Ecology.
Article 2 : CONTESTANTS and ENTERING TEAMS
o The competition is open to all professors and students enrolled in a university and in art schools,
architectural schools, engineering schools, landscape architecture schools, town planning schools…
The competition is more specifically aimed at post graduate MASTER Students.
o The contestants are grouped into multidisciplinary teams of three or four members comprising one
professor or a doctoral student (research advisor of the team) possibly accompanied by other teachers
and two or three students. The team has to recover from at least two different disciplines (for example,
a professor of town planning and 2 students in architecture).
o Each student can only belong to one team. Any withdrawal by a student must be notified.
o Each professor can coordinate several teams as co manager of the quality of the sketch with the
- The professor completes the entry form on the web site www.arturbain.fr.
- The professor watches the respect for the rules by pointing each of 14 disqualifiants criteria (cf. page 6),
- He participates necessarily in the Internet jury according to the article 7.3 of the rules at the risk of
disqualification of his team(s) still in the running
- In case of gain of a prize, he assists or sends a representative to the prize-giving in Paris.
Registration entails the students’ and professors’ membership of the Association for the Urban Art (SRA),
and exempt payment of the 2019 subscription.
The directors of teaching establishments are asked to include the International Competition in their
establishment study program.
Nota important :
1. The professor or the director of teaching establishment can ask for the coming of a consultant of the Robert
Auzelle Seminar (SRA) for a round table.
2. The sendings will be made under the responsibility of the teacher coordinator of every team.
3. A certificate of sketch return will be given by the SRA; this certificate will allow giving 1 to 4 european
credits (ECTS) to each student of the team (subject to the professor and the education committee agreement
in the responsible school)
Article 3 : CHOICE OF SITE
Each professor chooses the study site in consultation if possible with the local authority concerned
(villages, boroughs, small towns, community of municipalities, public establishments…)
Article 4 : PROCEDURES TO BE RESPECTED (see ‘Recommendations Note’ in the appendix)
4.1 Respect for the annual theme:
The sketch will have to answer exactly the theme defines in the article 0. The situation Before (analysis) will
analyze a situation in touch with this theme and the situation After (proposition) will propose an improvement of
this territory with regard to the same theme.
4.2 Format, page layout, title, presentation of the sketch in French language:
The sketch must be delivered in A1 format (59, 4 × 84,1 cm) horizontal landscape mode, according to the
modalities defined in the article 4.4.
The sketch is divided by 2 equal parts separated in the center on all the height by a white space 1 cm wide :
- The left hand A2 section will present the situation Before (analysis)
- The right hand A2 section will present the situation After (proposition)
The project’s Descriptive Title figure in French language (Arial police, 60 pt, bold type, capital letter) on a 3 cm
horizontal strip on the top, also containing the names of the city or the village, and the country. The flag of the
country on which depends the educational establishment of the team appears to the right of this horizontal strip.
ATTENTION : the sketch must be anonymous.
4.3 Presentation of the sketch:
4.4 Display: The presentation standards given in these rules are compulsory. They facilitate the
reading of the sketch.
The mode of portrayal of the area should be indicated in the ‘French vocabulary of urban Art’ 2 (land use
interpretation grid, visual sequence, identifications, urban window, block plan, landscape plan, etc);
- The scale and the North should be shown on all the plans.
échelle : 1/2000
- The sections and façades (where necessary) should be to the scale of the plans and positioned to
facilitate simultaneous reading : plan/section, or plan/façade;
The views of the ‘visual sequences’ Before/After must be identified (numbered and materialized by
a viewing angle: ) on the corresponding plans for a plan/view reading;
- Text should be written on a white background to facilitate reading. It should be written in 15 cm wide
columns with 1200 to 2400 characters in Arial 22 to 25 points, interline 1.5.
The existing elements in the part “Before”, and preserved in the part “Later”, will be represented as
2 www.arturbain.fr « Vocabulaire ».
Before section / Analysis
After section / Proposal
Goals and programme
- a map of the territory or an aerial photo at an
appropriate scale will indicate:
o The natural areas (wooded areas,
o The urban nodes (towns, boroughs, hamlets,
etc ) the transport routes and the structures ...
- A site plan (1 to 10 Ha) to appropriate scale (between
1/2000th and 1/500th) or aerial photo related to the
- Plans, cuts, visual sequences
Please note: The site chosen for the project should be
identified by a box or superimposed colouring.
- A development plan to the same scale showing the
mechanisms set up,
- A block plan of the project on the same scale with
- Plans, cuts, visual sequences… in correspondence
with the analysis
Article 5 : PROCEDURE FOR SENDING THE APPLICATION FILE
The digital sending of the application file is made by a platform of download (for example: “YouSendIt ", “ Free
Download “, “ We transfer “…), in the email address: email@example.com.
3 files of the file are the following ones :
- A PDF file with the title of the sketch, the name of the professor, his email address, and his phone
number, names and first names of the students, the name of the educational establishment ;
- An A1 format JPG file (59.4 cm x 84.1 cm), (flattened, without layer),resolution: 300 pixels/inch i.e. 9933
x 7016 pixels, saved under the name : title_of the_project_a1.jpg, in French language;
- An A4 format JPG file (21 cm x 29.7 cm) (flattened, without layer),resolution : 300 pixels/inch i.e. 1752 x
2480 pixels, saved under the name : title_of the_project_a4.jpg, in French language;
Article 6 : THE KEY DATES OF THE COMPETITION
o Period of entries on the Internet from June 10th , 2018 till February 15th, 2019
o Closure of sending sketches : March 15th , 2019 at midnight, local time
o Technical committee and Selection committee : end of March 2019
o Publication of the pre-selected sketches on the Internet : april, 2019
o Award of prizes and exhibition in Paris : May 24th ,2019
o Educational meeting with the professors : May 24th ,2019
Article 7 : TECHNICAL COMMITTEE, SELECTION COMMITTEE AND INTERNET JUDGES
7.1 The SRA’s technical committee will examine and send the sketches to the Selection Committee, indicating,
- Those which have not respected articles 2, 4 and 5 and which can be disqualified from the
- Those with legibility problems, making it difficult to get the ideas across (descriptive title, before/after
comparison, text-image link, etc).
7.2 The Selection Committee, comprising professional experts (architects, town planner, engineers, economists,
urban plasticity experts, landscape architects…) chosen by the SRA, will examine all of the sketches.
It will unanimously select at least 10 sketches it considers to be exemplary.
7.3 The Internet Judges have supreme authority and comprise the professors who participated in the
competition. If a team consists of several teachers, only one score sheet will be sent (after the teachers have
consulted each other). Every professor of the jury is invited to estimate sketches on www.arturbain.fr. The
professor will give each sketch (excluding the ones he participated in) impartially a mark of 1 point (minimal note)
, 2 points or 3 points (maximal note) for each of the three criteria:
- Architectural quality
March 10th , 2019